Friday, July 6, 2007

Hide and Meep

I hung up the phone and went to check on Elijah and Seth in their room. Seth was sitting nicely on the floor chewing away on his board book. Elijah was nowhere in sight. "Eli", I called, "where are you?" "I wight heah", came a muffled voice from under his bed. "Come out, Eli. What are you doing under there?" I said. As he wiggled out from under the bed, I could see that he had taken all his clothes off. "I meeped in mine mants." Ahh. So that would explain why he was in his birthday suit hiding in the best place he could think of! Clearly, we have more work to do in the potty-training area! I can't help but think how human his reaction was...after all, the very first man and woman on earth hid after doing something they knew they shouldn't. Silly, ain't it, to try to hide from God? "Nothing in all creation can hide from Him (God). Everything is naked and exposed before His eyes. This is the God to whom we must explain all that we have done (Hebrews 4:13)". I'm not perfect - as a human, I have tendencies to try to "hide" when I've sinned by blaming others, pretending it didn't happen, justifying what I've done, or "covering" it up by pouring on the kindness. But I've found that the best reaction when I've done something wrong is to quickly own up to it and ask for forgiveness. And you know what? God always loves and forgives.

No comments: