Sunday, July 1, 2007

Fingernail Reflections

I had painted my toenails while I was watching the NASCAR race. (Yeah, I know that sounds redneck...what can I say?) Savannah walked in the room and said, "I can smell that you did paint nail polish." She has a nose like her father - they can sniff out odors that no one else can smell. Savannah asked if I could paint her toes as well. I asked her what color she wanted; she decided to have red, "just like you, Mommy". After her toes looked like little strawberries, she asked if I could put "paint nail polish" on her fingers, too. I explained that if she had polish on her fingernails, she had to leave it on - not pick it off like the last time. She said, "Okay. Can you paint your fingers, too, so we can look the same?" After the fingers matched the toes, she followed me around the house so that we could be doing the same things together. I realized all over again how much she looks up to me, watches everything I do, and learns from how I live. Granted, she will have other influences and will eventually make her own lifestyle choices. But for now, I am the one that is imprinting on her heart how to be a lady, wife, mother. That's scary - how can I make sure I'm teaching her right? I get guidance from the Bible. "...The Lord is our God, the Lord alone. And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength. And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are away on a journey, when you are lying down and when you are getting up again (Deuteronomy 6:4-7)".

No comments: