Monday, March 23, 2009

Center of the Universe

Just in case you didn't know, I am the center of the universe.


Now you're mad at me because you think I'm wrong, but I'm telling you, I am the center of the universe.


Okay, so maybe I'm not really the center of the universe, but I know someone who does think so:
To Autumn, I am the center of the universe. I realized that the other day. It's funny and sweet how her moods change depending on whether I'm paying attention to her, holding her, talking to her, feeding her, or just being in the same room as her. And when I'm not doing any of those things, then she lets me know of her displeasure. Which, in reality, shows that she is the center of the universe. So as far as she's concerned, it's all about her which means it's all about me. Thinking this through is starting to hurt my brain. But it does reinforce my personal opinion and belief that all humans are at the core very selfish beings.


I mean, really, most of what I do or think is based on selfishness. Why do I buy ice cream? Because I want it. Why do I get mad at other drivers? Because they're not driving the way I think they should. Why do I make the kids go to bed early? Because I am tired. Why do I expect certain behavior from others? Because I think I deserve it/that's the way it should be done (according to whom?-me)/I want things to be fair (the way I see it).


And when I don't get my way, I do like Autumn does. I pitch a fit. Figuratively speaking (most of the time). What is pitching a fit? Complaining, whining, ignoring, grumbling, yelling, crying, pounding fists and feet, silent treatment, making so much "noise" that I get my way. Lots of grown-ups do this. It's just hard to admit, or even see. Haven't you ever felt like suing someone because you didn't think you were done right? Well, guess what? Life ain't fair. Ain't no amount of fits gonna make it fair. I'm not the center of the universe. You're not the center of the universe. And it's an awful hard thing to have to tell Autumn, but she's not the center of the universe, either.


God is the real, true, and only center of the universe. Dadgummit, He's the One who created the universe that needed a center. And since He created the universe, I reckon He's the only one big enough to fill the center of it. So really, it's a matter of perception vs. reality. I may feel like and think that I'm the one it's all about. But I'm not. God is. I need to re-align my thinking to the truth. God is the center of the universe. And God wants me to accept Him as the center of my universe. It's up to me whether I accept or not, but that doesn't change the fact that He is. I can choose to be in harmony with Him, or I can choose to "pitch a fit" and fight against Him.


I am so thankful that God is the center of my universe. I hope that one day Autumn will acknowledge the truth of her Creator. And I pray that you, too, have your center calibrated with the true Center of the universe.


No comments: