Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Kitchen Ants

I realize that I seem like I've been on vacation since I haven't posted in quite awhile. But, believe me, it's been no vacation! We were given a lot of garden vegetables - and I've been busy snapping beans, grating zucchini, slicing tomatoes, pickling cucumbers, and generally canning and freezing anything that looks like it would belong in a salad in the kitchen! I showed Jacob and Savannah how to snap green beans; they thought it was really fun, especially because they were allowed to eat the beans as they snapped them! Jacob says that we have so many pickles now that when we eat them all, we're going to get fat and then have to hibernate for the winter. I don't think you can get fat from pickles...can you? I told Jacob that we were being like the ants in Bug's Life by preparing our food in the summer to be able to eat in the winter. He thought it was really cool that the Bible tells lazy people to watch busy ants. "Take a lesson from the ants, you lazybones. Learn from their ways and be wise! Even though they have no prince, governor, or ruler to make them work, they labor hard all summer, gathering food for the winter (Proverbs 6:6-8)."

No comments: