Sunday, August 19, 2007

In Her Steps

As I grow older, I find that I understand a lot more about my mom. Why she did, said, and acted certain ways. And I find myself doing some of the same things. I vividly remember thinking that when I grew up and could be on my own, I would live in a high-rise apartment overlooking a major city, watch TV all day long, and melt and eat caramels to my heart's delight. Now that I am grown up and on my own, I realize that childhood dream was unhealthy, lazy, impractical and impossible! I understand now why she made us eat healthy, learn good manners, do household chores, and be nice to others. And although my methods and lifestyle may be different than my mother's, I am trying to teach my own children the same basic things. One of the things my mom did was homeschool all four of her children. She started when I was in 5th grade and her youngest was 2. Today, he has one more semester left in college. And I find that, due to certain circumstances, I am going to follow in her path and start homeschooling Jacob for 1st grade (my youngest is 11 months). A lot has changed in 20 years - curriculum, education philosophies, schedules, fads & trends, support groups, opportunities - but there remains one constant. We want the best for our children; and will do whatever we need to towards that end.

No comments: