Monday, October 27, 2008

Life Without Kids

Every once in awhile, I wonder about what life would be like without kids.

And I conclude that life would be completely boringly monotonous.

Sure, I would have a lot more time to do stuff, but what in the world would I do? Time to myself is much more precious and valuable now.

Sure, I would have a lot more sleep and rest, but I might not sleep as good, since I wouldn't be so tired by the end of the day.

Sure, I'd have a much neater, cleaner house, but that would be because I would have washed the walls and blinds every week out of sheer boredom. And who wants to do that?

Sure, I'd have a lot more money, but what would I spend it on - how many clothes do I need anyway? Just imagine year after year not having the opportunity to buy treats, toys, and Happy Meals for kids?!

Sure, I'd be able to go on lots more dates with Chris - and I do miss that. But we wouldn't have any funny stories to share with each other about what the little guys did or said that day.

I would miss all the squeezy hugs, sloppy kisses, "I Wuv You"s, and wiggly kids in my lap. I would miss the hot wheel races and the teddy bear games. I would miss brushing tiny teeth and washing baby hair. I would miss answering "Why" questions and reading stacks of books. I would miss cartoon days and trips to the park. I would miss funny mispronunciations and flat knock-knock jokes. I would miss the innocence and trust of childhood. I would miss being the bug-killer hero and the broken toy magician. I would miss impromptu dances in the kitchen and singing "You Are My Sunshine" at the top of my lungs. I would miss the complexity of blowing all the birthday candles out and the simplicity of Christmas. I would miss witnessing my husband develop into the wonderful father that he is. I would miss learning so much about myself by being a mother. I would miss family group hugs and sharing in the smile of my husband's eyes over five little heads. And I wouldn't even know what I was missing.


"Children are a gift of the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them... (Psalm 127:3-5)".

3 comments:

Tara said...

What a sweet post, Elizabeth! And what a profound reminder to be thankful in the small things! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Awesome. You are so right:) Sometimes I wonder WHAT I did with all my time before my kids came along!

Kirby and Annie said...

"bug-killer hero?" You HAVE changed. ;-)