Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Security Blanket


It's funny how each kid is different. That's one of my favorite things about being a mom - figuring out each child's unique personality. For example, when Jacob was a baby and needed to go to sleep, he sure put up a good fight. We'd hold his passy in his mouth and pat him on his back until he'd finally fall asleep. After Savannah got over her colic (which was horrid for the whole family!), she went to sleep fairly easily as long as she had her pacifier solidly plugged in her mouth. Elijah, on the other hand, would have nothing to do with a passy. All he needed was his little arm slung over his Winnie the Pooh bear, and he'd fall fast asleep. Then there's little Seth. Our shy little thumb-sucking, bear blanket toting "Linus". Although he only sucks his thumb to fall asleep, the blankie goes everywhere with him. In fact, when he wakes up from his nap, he is standing in his crib just waiting to be lifted out with his bear blankie, sippy cup, and all his other blankets tucked up under his arms ready to face whatever the day brings forth.

Recently I was "pondering in my heart" about these things, and I started to wonder what my "security blanket" is. What is it that I have to have near me, tucked up under my arm to make me feel right with the world? For some, their security blankets may be knowledge, food, coffee, different forms of entertainment, favorite articles of clothing, financial security, etc. There is nothing wrong with any of these things in themselves. But if they become what I rely on for comfort, or to put my world back on track when I'm floundering, then they are an idol in my life. That's one of the reasons I love the verse on the top of my blog. It reminds me of where my hope, trust, comfort and centering is and should be.

"Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever (Psalm 73:25-26)."

No comments: