Sunday, October 14, 2007

My Heart Is Full of My Family

I went to a retreat for "new" ministers' wives this weekend. It was a beautiful setting, wonderful weather, and excellent retreat. It was so encouraging to meet others of "me" from my same state that have similar situations and experiences. And the retreat content was very helpful, as well. I made some friendships that hopefully will continue long after this retreat is a distant memory.
Obviously if I was at a retreat, then Chris was home with the kids! When I walked back in the house after being gone for 26 hours, Chris was cramming dishes in the dishwasher at a reckless speed. "You came home too early! I didn't get this finished yet," he greeted me. Ha! "You've had 24 hours to load that dishwasher. Give me a hug!" Seth (age 1) was especially glad to see me. He had been looking for me all over the house the whole time I was gone.
I love my family. Even though it was nice to get away, it was even better to come home. Chris and I are such good friends that if he's not there with me, I really miss him. I mean, who else can I just look at when something funny happens and he will know exactly what I'm thinking? Even if it's not funny, but it strikes me funny, and he knows I think it's funny, even though it's not, he enjoys it with me (or maybe he thinks I'm funny when I think something's funny when it's not funny...). Hmm, I'll have to ask him.
One more story - Savannah's 13 yr. old cousin drew her a picture of a race car with chalk on our driveway. As soon as he finished the car, Savannah (age 4) picked up some chalk and added the window netting to his race car! You know you're a redneck if...your little daughter knows the finer details of a working race car.
"The older women are to ... teach what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands and children (Titus 2:3-4)". I DO love my husband and children; and it is refreshing to sit under older ladies' teaching and have their encouragement in this.

3 comments:

Drea said...

Travis was doing the same thing! HAHA although we don thave a dishwasher.. so sink strainer ;-) our hard workin men :-)

A Place For Ministry Wives/A Place For Me said...

Glad you enjoyed the retreat. :-)

Unknown said...

I feel the same way! I'm going on a women's retreat this weekend. Everyone else seems WAY excited about it, and all I can think about is how much I'm going to miss my best friend.