Sunday, September 28, 2008

Pastoral Musings

Chris often sends out emails to our church family. Here's one from last week that I thought I'd share... I hope it feeds your heart.

So, it's cold and rainy outside. Quite breezy as well. Gas prices are sky high and gas stations are running out of gas. The stock market keeps dropping and the housing market is abysmal. Banks are failing and food prices keep shooting up.

At home, I have a new born baby girl (Thank you Jesus!) and an exhausted wife (poor Elisabeth). We've had three sick kids over the past three days (one with a fever and diarrhea, two with fever and nausea). I had some nausea myself last night (oh, the joy). That means that I have had to be "Mr. Mom" this whole week. I’ve done TONS of laundry, protected mom and newborn from the kids, cleaned house, looked after meals, entertained guest, planned a birthday party (for our sick two year old), led a prayer service, got estimates on a couple of needed house repairs, and squeezed in some church work on the computer. Add to that, that I've been stuck at home while church members need visits, phone calls need to be made, sermons to work on, meetings to schedule, counseling sessions to be conducted, etc. Much has been neglected as I take up Elisabeth's role at home. It DEFINITELY makes me appreciate the work she does around here!! (It's going to be real hard not to smack the next person who ask my wife if she works or is she a "stay at home" mom. The answer is YES!).

Add all of this on top of the fact that Brother Donald (our other minister on staff) has been out of the office this week as well, tending to his dear grandmother who isn't doing well at all. Mrs. Jeannean (our secretary) says she misses her "coffee buddies" at church. It has been one crazy week!

So, there is a particular word that I love more than any other this week…“grace”.
And I realize that, despite my whining, things could be much worse. And I realize that, despite my complaining, I am blessed. And I realize, that despite my fears, God is still on His throne as Lord of all. My verse for the day is:
“Yet I will exult in the LORD, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation. 19 The Lord GOD is my strength, And He has made my feet like hinds' feet, And makes me walk on my high places. For the choir director, on my stringed instruments.” Hab 3:18-19

Here is a great sermon that humbles me and encourages me:
http://www.lifechurch.tv/message-archive/ydhwit/2


Chris

1 comment:

Amy said...

You tell 'em Chris! It is a shame that work at home...gets treated as if it's not work...therefore doesn't get done and therefore the declintion (sp??) of the family in our day.